Let me just start this post by apologizing for spamming you with 700 photos of my little humans. I die over these pics by Maylily Photo, and it’s my birthday, which means that so help me if I want to include 50 pics in one post, several of which are almost identical, then gosh darn it I’M GONNA! Ok sorry calming down.
Ahhh, birthdays. When you’re a kid you wait on them with bated breath. When you’re an adult, and specifically as you become a more ‘seasoned’ (shall we say) adult – wellllllll, the feelings can be quite different. I won’t get into all the unsavory feels adult birthdays can evoke, but what I will say is that I’ve tried to counteract some of that ish by using my birthdays as a time for introspection. It’s one of the bonuses of having a birthday toward the beginning of the year – you’re still kind of in that ‘resolutions’ mind set. Know what I mean?
SO, that said – my introspection has lead me to identify seven little birthday gifts that I want to give myself this year. Here they be!
Top 7 Birthday Gifts for Yourself
- The gift of podcasts. Ok, podcasts, audiobooks, whatevers… just good ish to listen to. I have a goal this year to utilize my passive time (like in between moments, etc.) more intentionally by listening to lots of good crap. And frankly that includes the word of God. Audio scriptures, all the way! Are there any podcasts you find particularly enlightening/inspiring/motivating that you’d recommend? I’m making a list so hit a sista up! 🙂
- The gift of grace… a.k.a. being nicer to myself. I am so much messier than I want to be. I am more self-centered than I wish I was. I have 30 friggin’ pounds of baby weight to lose and it’s coming off slow as molasses. But ya know what guys? I’m just choosing to be nice to myself about all of it. Or at least that’s the goal. The goal is to be nice to myself, flaws and all.
- The gift of clear goals and a clear focus. For Christmas, my husband got me Rachel Hollis’s ‘Start Today’ journal. I tried to link to it directly here you guys but it’s sold out (wahhhh!). But here’s the jist of it: there’s a big explanatory section at the beginning where Rachel walks you through an exercise that is intended to help you identify where you want to be in 10 years from now and how you’re going to get there by focusing on individual goals, one at a time. This comes from her personal practice and it’s what she accounts all of her success to, despite having four young children and literally the most packed schedule you can imagine – a.k.a. all the distractions. Would you guys be interested in me blogging about my experience with using this approach? I haven’t even started, but I am going to. I find myself overwhelmed and buried by my to do list, and I want to be motivated by OUTCOMES more than to do lists, know what I mean? Holler if this is of interest and I’ll write about it as I go!
- The gift of more athleisure. Like way more, cuz can you have too much of this stuff? I’m working on a post where I break down exactly how to nail this trend, but can we just bask in the beauty of the fact that outfits consisting of all the comfiest things – leggings, joggers, sneakers, baseball caps – are majorly trending? Can’t be mad about that for one second, amiright? Planning on snagging this, this and this… aaaaand possibly many many more thangs. Make sure you follow me on Insta and in the Liketoknow.it app to peep what I end up buying!
- The gift of a killer handbag. Or several. Welcome to my guilty pleasure you guys. HANDBAGS. I have way too many and I just can’t get myself to stop. Ooops? Seriously though, it is my belief that a bangin’ handbag can totally up-level an otherwise pretty ‘meh’ outfit every single time. I linked below to a bunch I’m loving right now below!
- The gift of simplified makeup. More specifically, simplified makeup that still looks bangin’. More specifically, THIS makeup guys. It’s all in one place, it makes you look your prettiest, it’s affordable, and it’s EASY. Peep these posts for more of why I’m obsessed, and then let me know if you want to get color matched to try this stuff. I sell it – that’s how much I love it!
- The gift of sneakers. I’ve become obsessed, you guys. Which is kind of saying something because characteristically and historically, I’ve been way more of a heels girl. Don’t get me wrong – I still LOVE me a good pair of heels. BUT, going back to this ‘athleisure is life’ concept, sneakers are becoming my new jam. Hundy percent. Which ones are in my cart right now for my birthday, you ask? Oh just peep below and you’ll see! It’s fine.